Streets and Place-Names of Scarsdale

By Richard Lederer

Compiled 1952, revised 1989

Footnotes, giving sources, and, in some cases amplification, are on file in The Scarsdale Public Library.

Alida Road
In 1891 the North End Land Improvement Co. bought 45 acres from Oliver Hyatt and developed the land which lay in both Eastchester and Scarsdale. The company named many of the streets for officers of the company and their family. Alida McIlroy was the wife of the President.

Archer Lane
Seymour Orlofsky developed Scarsdale Acres in 1955. Who Archer was is unknown.

Ardmore Road
Heath Ridge was developed by H. A. Lockwood in 1926. In 1952 I was told by someone that he turned to the plumbers section of the Ft. Wayne, Indiana directory and selected Ardmore, Carthage, Lebanon and Wakefield. This is a good story, but not true. The 1926 Ft. Wayne Directory shows no such plumbers' names. Ft. Wayne, however, has streets named Ardmore and Wakefield so there may be some basis for the legend.

Aspen Road
Benedict Park was laid out in 1926 by Fred Ries.

Autenrieth Road
Henry G. Autenrieth, a member of the Board of Assessors of New York City, owned the land between Church, Autenrieth and Popham Roads.

Axtell Drive
In 1928 Alexander M. Crane subdivided his property from Post Road to School Lane under the name of Crane-Berkeley. He named this street for his great-grandmother Johanna who smoked a pipe and lived to be 101.

Bansom Road
This street was laid out in 1955 as part of a Scarsdale Ridge development. I cannot find out who Bansom was, but this street is the only one in Scarsdale with no houses on it. All the houses have numbers on the neighboring streets.

Barker Lane
In 1981 Anthony Scarcella subdivided the land which he bought from Frederick Lowenfels. The name suggested by me to the Planning Board, was for William Barker whose name appears as the landowner on the 1774 map of the Manor of Scarsdale.

Barry Road
Westover, the property of Westover Land Co., Inc., was laid out in 1919 and this road was dedicated in 1923. The President was C. Moran Barry.

Beechwood Lane
Walter J. Collet developed Sherbrooke Park from the Max Goldsmith estate in 1939 and named the principal street for a large copper beech tree. It was ironic that no homes could be sold to Jews on the land formerly owned by a jew.

Bell Road
Arthur Suburban Homes Co. filed its first development plan for the former George D. Arthur property in 1895. Although they used a picture of Chester A. Arthur on their promotional literature, there was no connection. They modestly named most of the roads for officers of the corporation. Enoch C. Bell was a major stockholder, but not a Director.

Benedict Road
Benedict Park was developed in 1926 by Fred Ries on property formerly owned by Hiram Benedict.

Berkeley Road
When Robert E. Farley laid out Greenacres and Scarsdale Hill in 1909 he named some of the streets for his secretary, his mother’s pen name, and his wife’s maiden name. Others must have been equally as obtuse as I can get no lead on Berkeley, Brayton, Claremont, Gorham or Montrose.

Berwick Road
This name was changed in 1952 to avoid confusion with Beverley Road in the Longview section of Greenburgh.

Bethel Road
The property of Frank Hopkins Bethell was subdivided in 1920. The road name is spelled wrong; it needs two “l”s. Bethell, a Vice-President of the New York Telephone Co., was the first President of the Village of Scarsdale. (We didn’t call them Mayor until 1927.)

Birch Lane
This lane was laid out with Lakin Road in 1929. See Lakin Road.

Birchall Drive
Frederick P. Fox and his Quaker Realty Co. laid out this street in 1913 and named it for his friend William H. Birchall, President of the Bronx Textile Works.

Black Birch Lane
This little street was in a 1955 subdivision by George J. Kraft. It had previously been part of Dell Ave.

Black Hawk Road
Thomas Callahan developed Colonial Acres in 1946. It was this development which engendered the anti-look-alike law of 1950.

Black Walnut Lane
In 1984 Gunilla Torstensn subdivided the property at 164 Mamaroneck Road containing the Angevine-Hatfield-Morris house and created this small street.

Boniface Circle
Originally laid out as Tower Circle in 1920 this road’s name was changed in 1943 to honor Arthur Boniface who probably did more than anyone else to shape present day Scarsdale. A Village Trustee from 1918 to 1921 and President in 1921 and 1922, he then became Village Engineer and Manager until his death in 1943.

Boulder Brook Park
In 1984 the village bought from the Boulder Brook Riding Club the over three acres on Mamaroneck Road for $750,000 and developed the playing fields. We then sold part back to the club.

Boulder Brook Road
Boulder Brook Ridge was a corporate name that Lou Simon had from a previous development. In 1971 he named this street for the corporation.

A pretentious name for the street laid out by the North End Land Improvement Co. See Alida.

Bradford Road
Leonard H. Davidow, better known for his White Plains real estate activities, subdivided the Bradford Rhodes property in 1926 and the Planning Commission furnished the name. The minutes of the Planning Commission contain many instances of a delightful sense of humor. It is not clear whether or not this is a deliberate pun.

Bradley Road
See Bell Road.

Brambach Road
Stephen Brambach was a Director of the North End Land Improvement Co. He was also involved with the company which manufactured Brambach pianos. See Alida.

Brayton Road

The first of many maps for Greenacres was filed in 1909 by Scarsdale Estates, controlled by Robert W. Farley. Map number one shows Greenacres Avenue coming back to Walworth Avenue on what is now Brayton Road, and Brayton Place was an extension of Greenacres Avenue. See Berkeley Road.

Brewster Road
The road was built in 1928 on the 3. 7 acres owned by Prof. Henry T. Brewster.

Brite Avenue
Brewster’s neighbor, on 6.8 acres, was architect James A. Brite. His property was subdivided in 1914.

Broadmoor Road
The Planning Commission applied this name in 1926 for the neighboring Broadmoor Country Club. See Bradford.

Bronx River
The boundary between Scarsdale and Greenburgh takes its name from Jonas Bronck who came from Niew Amsterdam in 1639 and bought 500 acres on the mainland from The Dutch West India Company and the Indians. The spelling is a corruption of Bronck's River.

Bronx River Parkway Reservation
Completed in 1925, this reservation contained the first public motorcar parkway (a way through a park) in the world.

Brook Lane
Originally Locust, this street's name was changed in 1928. It is for an unnamed brook which runs into the Bronx River.

Brookby Road
In 1925 Frederick P. Fox and the Quaker Realty Co. developed the E. W. Hellwig property. This name is apparently another of the Planning Commission’s puns, it is by a brook. It is not really a brook but the Sheldrake River.

Brookfield Lane
In 1983 Parlato and Barzelatto subdivided the previous Barracini property and I suggested to the Planning Board that they name the lollipop street Angevine Lane for the family who occupied the land as tenants of the Heathcote Family. (A “lollipop” is a dead-end street that ends in a circle.) Across Mamaroneck Road was Angevine Farm where James Fenimore Cooper later lived. The first person to buy a house in the development objected to the name saying that it sounded like a pizza parlor. The Planning Board capitulated and came up with Brookfield as it’s in a field beside a brook. It is not a brook, it is the Sheldrake River.

Brookline Road
Rush Wilson suggested the name for the road beside a brook which forms the Village line. It’s really the Hutchinson River which forms the boundary with New Rochelle. There is a one foot wide strip beside the river owned by the Sherbrooke Park Association so that no street may be cut through from New Rochelle. See Beechwood Lane.

Brown Road
Robert B. Brown was Treasurer of North End Land Improvement Co. See Alida.

Burgess Road
Thomas F. Burgess, one-time Village Historian, subdivided his property in 1924. His wife, Laura Crane Burgess was a Village Trustee from 1921 to 1924.

Butler Field
The village bought 75 acres along Wayside Lane for $65,000 from Emily Butler in 1919.

Butler Road
Charles Butler, an early commuter and prominent New York lawyer specializing in insurance, made his first purchase in Scarsdale in 1853. He ultimately accumulated over 400 acres, one-tenth of the town. On his death the property passed to his daughter Emily. In 1922 she sold the area between Fenimore Road and Wayside Lane to I. Randolph and Everett Jacobs who developed it as Fox Meadow Estates. Fox Meadow was a name used as early as 1731. To name the streets they called on Dixon Ryan Fox, Village Historian and biographer of Caleb Heathcote. Butler Road was the driveway to the Butler home which stood where 54 Butler Road is now.

Butler Woods
When land was being acquired in 1913 for the Bronx Parkway Reservation, Emily Butler gave 25 acres to the Parkway Commission and five years later gave seven more. Now owned by Westchester County, it contains a large plaque mounted on a huge boulder commemorating the gift.

Cambridge Road
Cornelius B. Fish filed a development plan for his property known as The Grange in 1905. Two of the principal streets were Oxford and Cambridge.

Canterbury Road
The property of E. W. Hellwig was subdivided by the Gerar Corp. in 1937. The street was dedicated to the Village in 1942 by Canterbury Ridges Estate, Edna B. and Stanley E. Boughton.

Carman Road
This is an Arthur Suburban Homes name, but who Carman is is unknown. See Bell Road.

Carstensen Drive (private) and Carstensen Road
In 1923 Walter J. Collet subdivided the estate of John Carstenson.

Carthage Road
See Ardmore.

Catherine Road
Catherine Herman was the daughter of George Herman, a partner of Charles Evans Hughes, and the attorney of Frederick P. Fox. See Brookby.

Cayuga Road
This road was named by Henry Hofheimer, Jr., attorney for Heathcote Hills, in 1956 on land which was many years ago Angevine Farm, the home of James Fenimore Cooper. This up-state Indian tribe, one of the Five Iroquois Nation, carries out the theme of Cooper’s Leatherstocking Tales. Incidentally, Hofheimer went to Cornell, far above Cayuga’s water.

Chase Road
This road commemorated Rev. Francis Chase, who for many years, from 1879, was Rector of St. James the Less.

Chase Road Park
The lots which make up the two-acre park beside Chase Road were acquired at various times for a little over $100,000.

Chesterfield Road
Caleb Heathcote, see below, was born in Chesterfield, in the Hundred of Scarsdale, Derbyshire, England. See Butler Road.

Christie Place
In 1941 the Village Board named this new road in honor of Robert C. Christie, Jr., a Village Trustee from 1925 to 1927 and Mayor from 1929 to 1931.

Church Lane
This was originally the access to St. James the Less Church from Popham Road.

Circle Road
Overbill Estates, controlled by James Cannon, was developed in 1914. This road runs in a circle.

Claremont Road
See Berkeley Road.

Clarence Road
Clarence W. Gaylor was the President of Arthur Suburban Homes. See Bell Road.

Cohawney Road
Cohawney, Beopo, Wapetuck and Patthunke were Indian sachems who signed a deed for the land to Caleb Heathcote. The name for the street was suggested by Dixon Ryan Fox, who had the good judgment not to suggest the other three. See Butler Road.

Colby Lane
A gap in Leatherstocking Lane made it confusing, so this portion was changed to Colby on the petition of Edward Ross Aranow for Bainbridge Colby, Secretary of State under Wilson, and because his two daughters went to Colby Junior College.

Colonial Acres Cemetery
The half-acre on Colonial Road was set out as a burial ground by Nathaniel Brown in his 1854 will. When the corporation which owned it went out of existence in 1947, it became the property of the town of Scarsdale under town law.

Colonial Acres Park
The one-acre park at Black Hawk and Continental Roads was donated in 1947 when the area was subdivided. See Black Hawk Road.

Colonial Road
See Black Hawk Road.

Colvin Road
Robert Farley’s wife’s maiden name was Colvin. They named their son Colvin too. See Berkeley.

Continental Road
See Black Hawk Road.

Cooper Green
The green space at the southeast corner of Post and Mamaroneck Roads was bought by the village for $40,000 in 1927 and named for the author who once lived nearby.

Cooper Road
Robert Farley’s Scarsdale Estates developed Murray Hill in 1909. This road obviously commemorates James Fenimore Cooper who for a short time lived nearby.

Copper Beech Lane
In 1948 Peter R. Kuhn subdivided his property and named the street for a tree on the street.

Coralyn Road
Coralyn Road comes to us from the 1925 Rocky Dell development in White Plains. Russel Immerblum, Sidney Baer, and Nelson and Louis Palestrant were the principals in the company which developed the “Rocky Dell” estate of Nathaniel C. Reynal. Coralyn Brush Pisarra was the daughter of the Director of The Burke Foundation.

Corell Park
The three and a half acres at Corell and Sycamore Roads were donated in 1957.

Corell Road
The streets in this area were originally laid out in 1926 by Vernon Corell as Secor Estates. Later (1921) called Secor Garden and developed in 1936 as Secor Farms by Royal H. Fox who had previously done neighboring Reynal Park in White Plains.

Cornell Street
The only “street” wholly in Scarsdale (Weaver is half in New Rochelle) was given to the village in 1921 by William H. Sackett, neighboring landowner, who also gave the Revolutionary War monument nearby. It was named for the family which owned the land in the colonial period. Richard Cornell came to Scarsdale in 1727 and Cornells were prominent in town and village government until George retired as Supervisor in 1969.

Crane Road
Alexander Baxter Crane lived in the house which is now the Trinity Lutheran Church. The road had been called Old Orchard Lane until 1948.

Crawford Lane
I suggested this name to the Planning Board when Boulder Brook Acres was developed in 1980 by Schechter-Antkies. It commemorates Samuel Crawford, Scarsdale patriot, who was one of the seconders to adopt the Declaration of Independence on behalf of the State of New York and who was killed in a skirmish with the British. He lived at 60 Crane Road.

Crest Lane
The property of C. C. Campbell was subdivided in 1927 as Quaker Ridge Gardens.

Crosby Close
I suggested this name and the Planning Board adopted it in 1987 when Parlato and Brazelatto developed what had been the Rosenberg property at 465 Mamaroneck Road. It commemorates the Revolutionary war patriot who was the prototype of Harvey Birch, Cooper’s The Spy.

The Crossway existed in colonial days. It appears on Robert Erskine’s 1778 maps as the link between the road from White Plains to Mamaroneck, Mamaroneck Road, and the road to New Rochelle where Weaver Street then terminated. It was officially laid out by the town in 1797.

Crossway Field
The 18 acres were acquired between 1946 and 1950 and cost only $25,000.

Cushman Road
A. B. and Larimer A Cushman owned almost all the land on the north side of the road.

Davis Park
The park bounded by Boulevard, Lyons, Bradley and Carman Roads cost a little over $24,000 and was named for Albert C. Davis who, as Chairman of the Board of Assessors, set up our basis for assesment.

Deerfield Lane
The Planning Board offered no objection to t1le develpper’s choice of this name in 1980. See Crawford Lane.

deLima Park
The acre at Autenrieth and Popham Roads was bought in 1970 for $75,000 and commemorates Edwin A. “Ted” deLima who served on the Village Board and the B.A.R. and devoted himself to the betterment of Scarsdale.

Dell Road
This was part of the Rocky Dell development. See Coralyn Road.

Depot Place
What else?

Dickel Road
Vivian Green and Perey Bibas developed Green Farms in 1924 from the former C. W. Dickel property. Dickel owned a famous riding academy in New York City.

Dobbs Terrace
This street was laid out between 1901 and 1910 on the land of the Dobbs family. Chester A. Dobbs was Fire Chief in 1952.

Dolma Road
Walter J. Collet built this road in 1926 and named it for a hill in India where he had lived for four years.

Donellan Road
A. Victor Donellan subdivided his Fenimore Road property in 1922.

Drake Road
This road was laid out in 1859 through the land of Elias G. Drake.

Drake Road Park
The almost two acres was bought by the village in 1968 for $100,000.

Duck Pond
The pond at Heathcote and Sherbrooke Roads, which is the headwater of Fox Meadow Brook, is owned and maintained by the Heathcote Neighborhood Association.

Duck Pond Road
The Duck Pond had always been known as The Duck Pond. When James G. Cannon developed the Heathcote Tract in 1908 he called it Edgewater Road. The neighbors succesfully petitioned the Village Board in 1939 to restore the old name.

Dunham Road
Lawrence Dunham was Justice of the Peace in 1917 and 1918 and Village Trustee in 1917. See Brookline Road.

Dunwoodie Road
Although officially a street, this road has never been paved. As a matter of fact a brook draining Hyatt Field runs there instead of automobiles. It was named by The North End Land Improvement Co., but I have never been able to find out who Dunwoodie was. He, however, was a favorite of theirs as they named another street in their Yonkers development for him, the New York City and Northern Railway—later the Putnam Division of the New York Central—put a station nearby and the whole area near St. Joseph’s Seminary is known as Dunwoodie. See Alida.

East Parkway
It is east of the Bronx River Parkway.

Eastwoods Lane
Grace Smith subdivided her property in 1930 after her husband Clarence died. She called it “The Woods” and all streets were named with that theme.

Edgewood Road
This road was laid out in 1919 as part of the Westover development and named for the neighboring school. The name of the school was suggested by Mrs. Gerard Fountain for her former home town, Edgewood, Pennsylvania.

Elm Road
Frederick VanWyck subdivided his estate “The Elms” in 1911.

Elmdorf Drive (private)
In 1910, David Welch subdivided his property which he called Elmdorf.

Eton Road
The Planning Commission changed the name of Meadow Road to Eton in 1921, probably for its proximity to Oxford and Cambridge.

Evon Court
We have streets named for patriots, presidents and plumbers, but this is the only one I know of named for another street. In 1985 the Evondale Construction Corp. laid out this private street. The company name came from its previous job on Evondale Road in the Longwood section of Greenburgh.

Ewart Road
This is another street named by the North End Land Improvement Co. I do not know who Ewart was. See Alida.

Fairview Road
There was a fair view from· the top of this road in 1924. See Dickel.

Farley Road
This road appears first on Greenacres Map No. 4 in 1925. See Berkeley.

Farragut Road
Heathcote Crest was laid out in 1926 by The Heathcote Land Co. on land formerly owned by Thomas Simpson. The development included Graham, Lawrence and Vanderbilt, but I can find no reason why.

Fayette Road
See Ardmore.

Fenimore Road
See Cooper.

Ferncliff Road
The development map for this road was filed in 1910 by Angell & Co.

Forest Lane
This was part of “The Woods” development in 1930. See Eastwoods.

Fountain Terrace
A private road which once led only to 6 Fountain Terrace. This house was built prior to the Civil War by Ernest F. Haubold. The Italianate fountain in front was built by Robert Farley. The fountain disappeared in 1974 when the Bronx River Parkway was “improved.”

Foxhall Place & Road
Named by Frederick P. Fox in 1926 for himself and Ferdinand Hall, his partner in the Quaker Realty Co.

Fox Meadow Road
This is the principal road through Fox Meadow. See Buder Road.

Franklin Road
Bert Herkimer selected a Quaker Name when he developed Ridge Acres in 1929.

Freight Way
There was once a spur track and a freight station on the west side of the railroad.

Garden Road
Cornelius B. Fish memorialized his wife’s garden. See Cambridge.

Garth Road
David J. Garth owned 180 acres beside the Bronx River. His home, just south of where the Buckingham Aparements now stand, burned down in 1925. The area was subdivided two years later.

Gate House Road
In 1985 Anthony Scarcella laid out this street down the center of what had been the former Louis Marx estate on Weaver Street. The auxiliary building—a garage, etc.—was known as the gate house.

Gaylor Road
Clarence W. Gaylor was the President of Arthur Suburban Homes. See Bell Road.

George Field Park
The ten acres north of Oxford Road and between Greendale and Post Roads cost over $100,000. It was paid for 30% by the village and 70% by a special assessment district covering 81 neighboring houses which assessment ran for 40 years. It commerorates George W. Field who was for many years a Governor of The Town Club and its President, a member in 1919 and 1920 of the Planning Board, President of the village from 1919 to 1921 and Supervisor in 1927 and 1928.

Gilmore Court
Robert Farley’s mother Helen wrote under the pen name Ernest Gilmore. See Berkeley Road.

Gorham Court and Road
See Berkeley Road.

Graham Road
See Farragut.

Grand Park Avenue
Back in the 1870s a large devlopment called Grand Park, which later essentially became Winged Foot Golf Club, was planned with this as a principal street. Mamaroneck changed the name to Fenimore Road, but Scarsdale didn’t.

Greanacres Avenue
Robert Farley was partial to the color green; he also names Green Knolls and Green Ridge. See Berkeley and Brayton.

Greendale Road
Vivian Green always got a, green something into, each of his developments. See Dickel.

Griffen Avenue
When this street was officially laid out in 1854 there were four families named Griffen living on it.

Hamilton Road
G. P. Nelson subdivided his property as Scarsdale Park in 1908. The next roads are Jefferson and Madison, so I assume it was for Alexander Hamilton.

Hampton Road
An English sounding name, like Paddington and Kensington nearby, suggested by Dixon Ryan Fox. See Butler Road.

Hanover Road
With Wheelock Road this was filed as Hanover Acres by Fenway Estates, Inc. Marcel R. Robbins’ name was associated, but I can find no trace of him. I suspect that he was a Dartmouth man as Eleazar Wheelock founded Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire.

Harcourt Road
The plat for this street was filed by Fox Meadow Estates in 1925. The reason for the name is unknown.

Harvest Drive
This street is in the 1949 Soundview Acres development by Cresin Realty Co. on land formerly belonging to Hopeton D. Atterbury Quaid. It is alleged that there was a farm there where crop were harvested.

Harwood Court
The curving street surrounding the Harwood Building was originally Parkway Place. In 1927 the Village Board changed it for George A. Harwood who was one of the original owners and directors of the Sarsdale Improvement Co. which built the building. See Harwood Park, below.

Harwood Park
The 11 acrees which include the Library and Harwood Pond cost $230,000 and were named for George A. Harwood, Chairman of the Planning Board in 1919 and 1920 after serving as President of the School Board, and long-time (15 years) a Governor of The Town Club. In his spare time he was a Vice-President of the New York Central Railroad.

Hathaway Road
A Hathaway, first name unknown, was a member of the Crane family. See Axtell.

Haverford Road
Bert Herkimer developed Westchester Estates in 1 914 and memorialized the Quaker-sponsored college.

Hazelton Drive
Hazel Nelson was the wife of Walter Nelson, the principal architect of the houses in Rocky Dell. See Coralyn Road.

Heathcote Road
James G. Cannon’s Scarsdale Estates laid out this road in 1909 amd named it for the owner of The Manor of Scarsdale, Caleb Heathcote.

Herkimer Road (private)
Bert Herkimer developed Ridge Acres in 1929 and slipped this one in for himself.

Hickory Lane
This street was not laid out until 1928 and by that time Fox was no longer Village Historian. The Planning Commission had the policy of naming streets for trees as well as for historic figures.

Highland Way
See Butler Road.

Hillandale Close
This small street is virtually a continuation of the New Rochelle street across Weaver Street.

Hillview Drive
August Jacob Ackerman developed Soundview Acres in 194 7. He planned to call the street Soundview but the Planning Commission said no; Hillview was the next best.

Homestead Avenue
Only a few feet of Homestead Avenue are in Scarsdale. It was part of the Wilmont park development of the Bates and Ackerman properties in Eastchester and the Bates homestead was near there.

Horseguard Lane
The name was suggested by Dixon Ryan Fox for The Westchester Guides, an informal band of young men who did some raiding, but primarily scouted and guided for Washington. After the Revolution they applied for pensions and were refused on the grounds that they were horseguards or horseguides and not officially part of the army. See Butler Road.

Huntington Avenue
This street was laid out in 1925 and commemorates Dr. George Huntington, professor of astronomy at Columbia and a Scarsdale resident.

Hutchinson Avenue
Originally called Penn Boulevard, this street’s name was changed to avoid confusion and named for the neighboring parkway.

Hutchinson River
The river which starts as a swale on the lawn at 21 Sherbrooke Road forms Scarsdale’s boundary with New Rochelle. It was named for Anne Hutchinson who, in 1642, came from Rhode Island and settled near the mouth of the river in the Bronx where Co-op City now stands. In Pelham and Mount Vernon the river is large enough to carry ocean- going tankers.

Hutchinson River Parkway
Inspired by the success of the Bronx Parkway Commission and fostered by the vision of William Lukens (Boss) Ward, the Westchester County Park Commission was created in 1922. Its goal was a necklace of gem-like parks connected by a chain of parkways, not high-speed throughways. The Hutchinson River Parkway was completed in 1928.

Hyatt Field
The five-acre playing field at Boulevard and Potter Road, dedicated July 4, 1954, cost $11,600 and was named for Oliver A. Hyatt, our Supervisor in 1879 who lived at 937 Post Road.

Innes Road
In 1921 the Heathcote Land Corp., Rush Wilson, President, and James Innes, Secretary, subdivided the 48 acre Simpson property and lined the road with ginko trees. Innes built the houses, one of which, number 25, he built for himself.

Jefferson Road
See Hamilton Road.

Johnson Road
Johnson was probably involved with the Arthur Suburban Homes Co., but I find no evidence of it.

Kathy Lane (private)
This is on the former Popham property at 1015 Post Road. Kathy was a daughter of Emanuel Thomas who built five houses there.

Kelwynne Road
Frederick P. Fox laid out this street in 1915 and named it for his son Kelvin and daughter Wynfred.

Kensington Road
This is another English-sounding name suggested by Dixon Ryan Fox. See Butler Road.

Kent Road
Fred I. Kent was an officer of Bankers Trust Company.

Kingston Road
Sadie Kingston, later Mrs. Keene, was Robert Farley’s secretary. See Berkeley.

Lakin Road
This short road was developed as part of Richbell Glen in 1929. It is on the former property of Herbert C. Lakin who served on the school board from 1914 to 1920 and was its president from 1917 to 1919.

Larch Lane
Fox Meadow Estates added this street in 1935.

Lawrence Road
See Farragut.

Leatherstocking Lane
See Cayuga.

Lebanon Road
See Ardmore.

Lee Road
This road was named for Lee Montgomery, son of C. W. Montgomery, aDirector of the North End Land Improvement Co. See Alida.

Lenox Place
Village Assessor George W. Both applied this name for no apparent reason.

Lincoln Road
In 1928 the Village Board tidied up the street names. Streets and avenues became roads; roads which were extentions of one another were combined; and some, thought inappropriate, were renamed. Priority in names was given to historic figures. Amber Road was changed to Lincoln Road.

Lockwood Road
Heathcote Terrace was developed in 1924 and this road surrounded the old Lockwood Collegiate School run by Leila H. and Mary E. Lockwood.

Locust Lane (private)
This tiny street from Wayside Lane is on the former Popham property called “The Locusts.” It was laid out in 1913 by the then-owner John Bogart.

Lorraine Place (private)
This street is really no more than an easement to reach the flag lots behind 1148 Post Road. Lorraine was the daughter of Halpern, the developer.

Lyons Road
George W. Lyon, without the “s”, was a Director of the Arthur Suburban Homes Co. See Bell Road.

MacDonald Place
George S. MacDonald was Lockwood’s father-in-law. See Ardmore.

Madison Road
The Planning Commission combined Gentles Street and Hutchinson Place with Madison Road in 1928. See Hamilton Road.

Magnolia Road
This is a Vernon Corell name on his Secor Gardens 1931 map. See Corell Road.

Mamaroneck River
The West Branch of the Mamaroneck River forms in the White Plains city dump south of the Gedney Way playing fields. It forms the boundary line between White Plains and Scarsdale between Saxon Woods Road and the Hutchinson River Parkway.

Mamaroneck Road
In colonial days this had been the road to Mamaroneck from The White Plains.

Marjory Lane
Marjory Ries Werner is the daughter of Fred Ries. See Benedict Road.

Mayflower Road
Thomas Callahan named this road in 1946. See Black Hawk.

Meadow Road
The 1957 development by August J. Ackerman of this tract was called Scarsdale Meadows.

Mercer Court
In accordance with the policy of naming streets after those prominent in Scarsdale history, I suggested this name to the Planning Board in 1988 as it is on land formerly the home of William Mercer, School Board President from 1893 to 1912 and Justice of the Peace from 1908 to 1922. This entry is longer than the street.

Mohican Trail
In 1976 Iris Carmel developed part of the former Eastman property, once Angevine Farm, James Fenimore Cooper’s home. One of Cooper’s best-known books was The Last of the Mohicans.

Montgomery Road
In 1929 Eldred H. Halsey subdivided the former property of Charles William Montgomery, Town Assessor, whose wife was President of the League ofWomen Voters, in 1926.

Montrose Road
See Berkeley Road.

Morris Lane
Frederick P. Fox named this street in 1913 for his brother-in-law James Morris and also for the family of Lewis Gouverneur Morris who once owned over 400 acres in Scarsdale of which this area was a part.

Murray Hill Road
In 1909 Scarsdale Estates, led by Robert Farley, developed the area called Murray Hill. The best guess is that it was to conjure up a vision of the then fashionable area of New York City.

Myrtledale Road
This street was laid out as part of Scarsdale Ridge in 1930.

Nelson Road
In 1928 the Village Board extended Nelson Road to include Davis Place and Anderson Road. Anderson had been named for Stephen P. Anderson, a Director of Arthur Suburban Homes. See Hamilton Road.

Norma Place
Norma Palestrant was the niece of Russel Immerblum. See Coralyn Road.

Normandy Lane
In 1954 Alexander Meffert named this street for his wife Claire who was born in Normandie, France.

Oak Lane
The lane is virtually a continuation of Oak Way in Greenacres. See Butler Road.

Oak Way
Frederick Van Wyck’s property was subdivided in 1911 and Mrs. Van Wyck suggested the name for a large oak tree.

Oakstwain Road
This road served the 1941 subdivision of Orion H. Cheney’s estate, “Oakstwain.” Cheney had been on the School Board from 1923 to 1931 and its President from 1924 to 1930.

Oakwood Place
Popham Park was developed in 1907 by the executors of the Popham Estate, Eliza Hill Popham and James Lenox Popham.

Obry Drive (private)
The estate of M. M. and L. M. Obry was subdivided in 1915. Obry was a well-known New York City dry cleaner operating under the name of Madame Obry.

Ogden Road
Charles Butler’s wife was Eliza Ogden (her brother was the first mayor of Chicago). His daughter Emily’s middle name was Ogden and her brother was A. Ogden. See Butler Road.

Old Lyme Road
In 1953 Charles A. Newbergh laid out this street and built houses there. He liked to name streets which sounded like old colonial names and had previously used Old Lyme off Anderson Hill Road in Purchase.

Old Orchard Lane (private)
John Carstensen’s estate “Old Orchard Lodge” was subdivided in 1925 and this private road was named in 1948.

Olmsted Road
Frederick Law Olmsted, after designing Central Park in New York City, was Charles Butler’s landscape architect. See Butler Road.

Oneida Road
Another upstate Indian tribe to carry out the theme of Cooper’s Leatherstocking Tales. See Cayuga.

Overbill Road
See Circle Road.

Overlook Road
The road overlooks the high school. See Butler Road.

Oxford Road
This road is at right angles to Cambridge. See Cambridge.

Paddington Road
An English-sounding name, like Kensington and Paddington, suggested by Dixon Ryan Fox. See Butler Road.

Palmer Avenue
B. C. Palmer lived beside this road in 1881. The Palmers were a prominent Scarsdale family; Richard was supervisor in the 1830s and James was Town Clerk during the Civil War.

Park Road
This was the principal street in The Grange, laid out by Chauncy Fish in 1905.

Parkfield Road
This road was added by Fox Meadow Estates in 1936.

Penn Boulevard
Westchester Estates was developed in 1919 by Bert Herkimer who was partial to Quaker names. See Haverford and Swarthmore Roads.

Penn Road
Herkimer added this appendage to Penn Boulevard in 1927.

Pinecrest Road
Walter J. Collet named this street for a large pine tree on the crest of a knoll. See Beechwood Road.

Popham Lane (private)
This small street is on land which was formerly the property of the Popham family. See Locust Lane.

Popham Road
At one time the Popham family owned all the land on the north side of this street. Major William Popham moved to Scarsdale in 1789 and the original deed from Levi Deveau to Popham is in the Scarsdale Library.

Potter Road
This road was named for William Potter, Jr., a Director of the North End Land Improvement Co. See Alida.

Putnam Road
When Farley laid this road out in 1925 he called it Butler Road. To avoid confusion the Planning Commission changed it to Putnam in 1928. With their penchant for historical figures I assume it was for Israel Putnam.

Quaker Center
Frederick F. Fox was a member of the Society of Friends and the Quaker theme runs through many of the streets he named. In 1928 Fox arranged for a statue of a Quaker carved in a tree there in memory of W. Birchall, F. Bannerman and W. H. Bolton. See Brookby Road.

Quaker Square
Ora deLima subdivided her property in 1942.

Quentin Road
Quentin was one of Frederick P. Fox’s sons. See Brookby.

Ramsey Road
This small street runs beside the property of John Ramsey, the only remaining farmer in Scarsdale.

Rectory Lane (private)
This street was originally the entrance to the parsonage of St. James the Less. It still is one of them.

Red Maple Swamp
The aptly named park at Valley and Gorham Roads was bought by the village in 1967 for $10,000.

Reimer Road
I do not know who Riemer was. See Cooper Road.

Reynal Crossing
This road crosses the tracks of the New York, Westchester & Boston Railway. See Coralyn.

Richbell Close and Road
Thomas Burgess subdivided his property in 1910 and named these roads for John Richbell who bought what is now Scarsdale and Mamaroneck from the Indians in 1660.

Richelieu Road
See Hamilton. Richelieu seems far afield from Hamilton, Jefferson and Madison.

Ridgecrest East, North, and West
This area was laid out in 1923 and the streets named Eastcote, etc. There was confusion with Heathcote so the Planning Commission changed them in 1928.

Ridgedale Road
See Myrtledale Road.

River Road
It was Parkway Drive when this part of Greenacres was laid out. The Planning Commission changed in 1921 at the request of the Bronx Park Commission.

Rochambeau Road
David Welch subdivided his property in 1915 and named the street for Jean Baptiste Donatien de Vimeur, Compte de Rochambeau, whose army camped in Greenburgh in 1781, during the Revolutionary War.

Rock Creek Lane
Originally Palmer Avenue, this street’s name was changed in 1944 for the park in Washington, D.C. at the request of Phillip J. Kelly because one night an ambulance couldn’t find this detached portion of Palmer.

Rock Meadow Lane
This name was selected in 1985 by Alfred P. Knopp, the subdivider.

Rodney Road
There is no person named Rodney in the 1926 Scarsdale Directory. See Montgomery.

Roosevelt Place
Theodore Roosevelt died in 1919, the year Edgewood School was opened.

Ross Road
Leo Skolkin subdivided the property of John R. Ross in 1936. Ross had been our Town and Village Clerk from 1911 to 1933.

Rowsley Place (private)
This street was created in 1915 and named for the building now occupied by The Woman’s Club. The house was named when it was built in 1857 by William Bailey Lang for a house he admired and copied near Chatsworth, Derbyshire, England.

Rugby Lane
The Planning Commission changed Oake (yes, with an “e”) Drive to Rugby Lane in 1921. The name was probably inspired by neighboring Cambridge and Oxford.

Rural Drive
Seymour Orlofsky developed Scarsdale Acres in 1955.

Sage Terrace
Part of Farley’s Greenacres development, this street was named for William H. Sage who lived on Fenimore Road and had been President of the school board.

Saxon Woods Park
By far the largest in the village, the 820 acre, county-owned park was assembled in 1925. The area was known as Saxton Forest or Woods since colonial days when William Saxton had a saw mill on the West Branch of the Mamaroneck River. After being a tenant, he bought Lot Number 4 from Heathcote’s heirs in 1774.

Saxon Woods Road
This road dates back to colonial times. See Saxon Woods Park, above.

Scarsdale Avenue
This road was laid out in 1895. See Alida.

School Lane
This street was named for the Lockwood Collegiate School, later Scarsdale Lodge, now Hoff Barthleson. See Lockwood Road.

Secor Farms Park
The acre-and-a-half park at Springdale and Aspen Roads was donated between 1952 and 1956. See Aspen.

Secor Road
This road appears on the 1774 map as “The new road to White Plains” and was known as White Plains Road until 1922 when the Planning Commission changed it to Secor Road in honor of Chauncey T. Secor, Supervisor from 1882 to 1911. The name was originally Sicard, one of the original Huguenot families of New Rochelle.

Seneca Road
Another road in the theme of Cooper’s Leatherstocking Tales. See Cayuga.

Sharon Lane (private)
See Kathy.

Shaw Road (private)
W. B. Shaw was one of the owners served by this lollipop laid out in 1908. (A “lollipop” is a dead-end street that ends in a circle.)

Shawnee Road
Cohawney was a Weckquaeskeck. I cannot imagine why Fox chose a western Indian tribe. See Butler and Cohawney Roads.

Sheldrake River
This little stream rises at three places in Scarsdale: at Cushman Road and Varian Lane, at the Heathcote School and on the Winston property on Griffen Avenue. The three join to form the Larchmont Reservoir near Weaver Street and ultimately join the Mamaroneck River at the Mamaroneck railroad station. A sheldrake is a European duck and the name appears on a survey as early as 1676.

Sheldrake Road
Pleasant Acres was developed in 1948 by Frederick A. Rellstab. The street runs over the river.

Sherbrooke Road
This road was named for Miles Sherbrooke who moved to Scarsdale in 1780. See Heathcote Road.

Southwoods Lane
“The Woods” was developed in 1930. See Eastwoods.

Spencer Place
Sarah Hulda Spencer was the mother of Eliza and James Popham. See Oakwood Place.

Spier Road
Royal Fox developed Reynal Park in White Plains in 1926. Jesse Spier was the officer at the Bowery Savings Bank which did the financing.

Sprague Road
David C. Sprague was a Director and J. M. Sprague General Manager of Arthur Suburban Homes. See Bell Road.

Springdale Road
See Myrtledale Road.

Spruce Lane
This street was named by Vernon Corell in 1931, as part of his Secor Gardens development, for Spruce Street in New York City where his father had a warehouse.

Stonehouse Road
Hazel Barton McClintock and Mitchell McClintock developed Stonehouse Farm in 1946. They took the name from the stone house of Alexander B. Crane, now Trinity Lutheran Church, which the street surrounds.

Stratton Road
This road is an extension of a New Rochelle Road where Francis A. Stratton, President of the Westchester Lighting Company, lived.

Sunset Drive (private)
This tiny street was laid out in 1910 as part of the Ferncliff subdivision.

Supply Field
More than 400 families participated in 1961 in a special assessment district to buy the three and a half acres on Heathcote Road for $175,000 and donate it to the village.

Swarthmore Road
See Haverford Road.

Sycamore Road
This is a Vernon Corell name on his 1931 Secor Gardens development. See Corell Road.

Sylvan Lane
Sylvia Lane appeared on Vernon Corell’s 1931 Secor Gardens plan. I don’t know who Sylvia was, but the Planning Commission made an adjective out of the noun. See Corell Road.

Taunton Road
This road was named by Alexander B. Crane for Taunton, Massachusetts near Berkley where he was born. See Axtell.

Terrace Court (private)
This little court is off Sage Terrace.

Thornwood Place
This small street was laid out as part of Birchwood Gardens in 1957.

Tisdale Road
Alexander B. Crane’s mother was Emma Tisdale Porter. See Axtell.

Tompkins Road
Daniel D. Tompkins, Governor of the State of New York during the War of 1812 and Vice-President of the United States under Monroe, was born in a log cabin at 42 Olmsted Road. The family settled in Scarsdale before 1700. This road was The Post Road until it was straightened in 1872. See Butler Road.

Torrence Place
The property of Lawrence Torrence was subdivided in 1926. He had a sawmill there as recently as 1915.

Tory Lane
This street commemorates the Loyalists during the Revolutionary War. See Butler Road.

Tunstall Road
The records show that in 1920 Charles McL. Tunstall of Norfolk, Virginia applied that Davis Place (part of the Westover tract, later part of Nelson Road) be accepted as a public highway, but they do not show in what capacity he acted. See Barry Road. The neighboring landowners in 1926 petitioned the Village Board to change the name of the street to Westover Road, but no action was taken.

Tyler Road
Laid out as Beverly Road in 1926, this name was changed by the Planning Commission in 1928. See Lincoln.

Valley Road
The Farley office admitted that valley is a euphemism for “swamp” when they laid out Greenacres.

Vanderbilt Road
See Farragut.

Varian Lane
The Lengel Realty Corp. subdivided this tract in 1940. James Varian came to Scarsdale in 1761 and in 1776 seconded the motion to adopt the Declaration of Independence on behalf of New York State.

Vernon Road
Vernon Corell named this street for himself. See Corell Road.

Wakefield Road
See Ardmore.

Walworth Avenue
Reuben Hyde Walworth (1788-1867) was a Member of Congress and later Chancellor of New York State from 1828 to 1848. Walworth Street appears in the 1881 atlas, but I don’t know who named it or why.

Wayside Cottage
The house at 1039 Post Road was built shortly after 1717. Soon after the Civil War Charles Butler let his nephew Benjamin F. Butler and his wife Ellen live in it. They called the house Wayside Cottage. In 1919 Emily Butler, Charles’ heir, gave it and a surrounding acre to the village for community purposes. See Butler Road.

Wayside Lane
This road formed the dividing line between the Butler and Popham properties. It takes its name from the Cottage.

Weaver Street
This street was laid out by the county road commissioners in 1720 “two rods wide . . . on each side of Ridgbels line” as far as The Crossway. It is said that it was named for Huguenot weavers in Larchmont, yet it appears as Lincoln Avenue in the 1872 and 1881 atlases, Quaker Ridge Road in the 1901, Weaver (Quaker Ridge Road) Street in 1910 and 1914. With the name’s first appearance in this century, your guess is as good as mine.

Webster Road
Webster White was a Director and Secretary-Treasurer of Arthur Suburban Homes. See Bell Road.

Weinberg Nature Center
The family of Wilhelm Weinberg gave over eight acres to the village in 1958.

Westview Lane
This street was part of Soundview Acres laid out in 1953 by August Ackerman.

Wheelock Road
See Hanover Road.

Whig Road
This name is apparently to counterbalance neighboring Tory Lane. See Butler Road . . . and Tory Lane.

White Birch Lane
Jacob Ackerman laid out and named this street in 1949.

White Plains Post Road
This road was laid out by the Westchester County Road Commissioners in 1717. It is a bit of a misnomer as it was established as a post, mail, road to Hartford by the federal post office in 1789 and later went all the way to Boston. There was mail carried in the colonial period, but no records are to be found. Milestones were set out on post roads to mark the distance a letter was carried and thereby established the price of postage. The 24th milestone near Wayside Lane bears the date of 1771. First carried by a rider, later by cart, carriage, and coach, the first stop for a change of horses was White Plains.

White Road
See Webster Road and Bell Road.

Wildwood Road
This road comes to us from the Rocky Dell development in White Plains. See Coralyn Road.

Willow Lane
This road was laid out by Walter Collet. Only willows grow well at the headwaters of the Sheldrake River.

Wilmot Road
Only nine one-hundredths of a mile of this road is in Scarsdale. The name comes from the Wilmot family who lived on its other end.

Windmill Circle & Lane
There was a windmill on the Dickel property in 1914. See Dickel.

Windsor Lane
This small street was named by Schwenk of Richell Realty Co. in 1938 “for the atmosphere the neighborhood.” He must have thought it was English.

Windsor Park
The tiny, .026 of an acre, park was donated to the village in 1939 to prevent Windsor Lane from joining the Post Road.

Windward Lane
A. J. Ackerman named this street when he laid out Soundview Acres in 1949.

Winslow Place
The Planning Commission named this tiny street, originally considered part of School Lane, in 1932 for the neighboring owner, Willard Winslow, whose wife Josephine V. served on the school board from 1919 to 1922.

Woodland Place
This is a nice sylvan-sounding name laid out in 1907. See Oakwood Place.

Woodland Road (private)
This is a paper street running through the property from Garden to Cushman Roads.

Woods Lane
“The Woods” was developed in 1930. See Eastwoods.

Wynmor Park
The little park at Secor and Wynmor Roads was donated to the village in 1926 by Frederiek P. Fox.

Wynmor Road
Frederick P. Fox’s daughter was named Wynfred and a son was Morley. The subdivision was made in 1926.